Argentinan Construction, a new perspective. Interview with Ruben Rojkes
Engineer Rubén Rojkés talks with us about Avanco and the growth opportunities arising in the Argentinian construction sector for 2019. Civil Engineer Ruben Rojkeshas been a real estate developer for over 25 years, “building the dreams of the people”.
1. What was your motivation when creating Avanco?
· AVANCO is an acronym that comes from advancing by building. I am a civil engineer and construction is a passion for me. I decided to move forward in life, building, creating, that’s what I’m passionate about. When I ask myself, Ruben, what is what makes you fill the most fulfilled about your work, I am not passionate about buying and selling only, I need to build, manufacture, develop a product, that’s what I love.
2. What was your first successful project?
· It was the first building I built which I launched almost 28 years ago; it was a very small building, in the street San Luis 77. It consisted of only 11 units with one or two bedrooms, with a lobby and two upper floors, without elevator. I sold it quickly. It was my first work, and thank God, all the works I have done have been successful and completely sold.
3. How do you manage the balance between family life and your work?
· I think family must be considered as the most important COMPANY we have, that implies that we must take care of it, dedicate time to them, correct if one makes a mistake, enjoy it. My family is my support, my motivation, I enjoy it very much, and I always try to make time to share with them. I enjoy spending time with my wife and children. Even though my children are grown, we still share a lot of good times. I always make time those moments, with trips, meals, or playing sports with them.
4. What advice would you give to future entrepreneurs?
· I would tell them to be passionate and put a lot of dedication to what they do. That they seek advice from people with more experience. I consulted a lot of veterans when I was not clear or I had doubts about a project. Work with a team of people who are passionate about what they do. It is an activity that you just can’t do without a good team.
5. What are the most innovative projects that have been developed in the region?
· I believe that at the Housing and Countries level, our company is the one that is innovating the most in the Region, with the type of amenities of our projects, and the experience of the architects that we have, we are working with a modern architecture and we are in continuous evolution.
We recently completed a residential building called The Point, in which we left standing a beautiful old facade of a house that is over 100 years old, and combined it with beautiful modern buildings. It is something that is seen a lot in Europe but it is the first time it is done in the area. It was a success.